- 8 miles (13km)
- 270 ft (82m)
- 2.5 – 3 hrs
If you don’t see this tour running on your preferred date, please contact us, and we’ll add it, if possible.
What You’ll Explore
A ride over the Golden Gate Bridge is unlike any other. It really doesn’t get any more picturesque: parklands, beaches, views of the city, and a descent down to the beautiful bayside town of Sausalito all await. And of course, the main event: the ride over California’s most famous landmark, the Golden Gate Bridge: ocean to your left, San Francisco Bay to your right, and the Marin headlands directly ahead.
The tour starts in Fisherman’s Wharf and finishes in Sausalito, on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Once the tour finishes in Sausalito,
guests are encouraged to have lunch in Sausalito and bring their bikes on the ferry back to San Francisco. The Blue & Gold Fleet ferry disembarks in Fisherman’s Wharf, about 5 minutes from our starting location. You can use the bikes to explore the rest of the day; bikes just need to be back at the shop before closing time.
Our Golden Gate tour minimizes the hills and uses the gentlest ascents possible. This tour is designed for anyone comfortable on a bike with a modest level of fitness. There are exactly two hills on this tour: (1) a short hill over Fort Mason and (2) the climb up to the bridge. If any of our tour guests prefer to walk up those hills, we’re all for it.
We don’t stop for lunch on this tour, so we encourage you to bring a snack. If you’re taking the morning tour, consider eating lunch in Sausalito after the tour finishes.
$5 discount for students, teachers, and military
Start & Finish
This tour starts in Fisherman’s Wharf at San Francisco Bicycle Rentals at 725 Jefferson Street (The Cannery). It finishes in the picturesque seaside town of Sausalito, on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. After the tour finishes in Sausalito, you are free to use your bike for the rest of the day on your own. To get back to San Francisco, you can take a ferry (bringing your bike with you) or ride back to San Francisco. Ferry tickets back to San Francisco are an optional way to return to the city and an additional charge. Please return your bike to the start location at 725 Jefferson Street.
Neighborhoods & Areas Visited
- Fisherman’s Wharf: A neighborhood catering to tourists and the most convenient starting location for a ride over the bridge to Sausalito.
- Fort Mason: Former army post now boasts public space, a busy park, and a youth hostel.
- The Marina: Ah, the good life: beautiful homes, quiet streets, and views of the bay.
- Crissy Field: A former military runway, this open space has stunning views of the Golden Gate Bridge and is a favorite play area for dogs and humans alike.
- The Golden Gate Bridge: Built in 1937 and almost 1.7 miles long, the bridge is and always will be San Francisco’s most famous icon.
- Sausalito: Small and scenic, Sausalito has splendid views of San Francisco, delicious lunch spots, and beautiful bayside homes.
City Bike with 7-8 speeds & upright sitting position. Regular and “step-through” frame styles available. Brands include Public, Specialized, Breezer, and Civia in a variety of colors.
Bike Tour Map
Need to Know
- Prices include bicycle and helmet. Gratuities not included – please consider tipping your guide.
- Booking for one person? Great – we love solo travelers! Please note we require 2 or more participants to run a tour. If you are the only one booked the day before a tour, we may ask you to move to a different tour or give you a full refund.
This is our easiest “regular” bike tour, however, you are still riding a bike and going up some minor hills. We ride at a casual pace and make frequent stops.
We take safety very seriously. Our tours take you on San Francisco’s safest bike lanes, bike routes, and quiet streets. We provide safety instructions before each tour. Helmets (provided) are mandatory.
Continue your Bicycle Adventure
We offer bike tour participants a 30% discount on bike rentals at our sister company CityRide Bike Rentals. We include a rental discount code in your bike tour confirmation email. Make sure to enter this code when reserving your bike rental online at the CityRide website. Please contact us if you don’t find it or have any questions.