- 10 miles (16km)
- 270 ft (82m)
- About 4 hrs
What You’ll Explore
There’s no better way to immerse yourself in the magic of San Francisco than on a bicycle.
The New Classic is your introduction to the city’s colorful history and modern culture, with stops in its most vibrant neighborhoods, including the Mission, Castro, Haight-Ashbury, and Alamo Square. We discuss how SF has been shaped by waves of settlers, from Spanish missionaries to Silicon Valley techies, each redefining the city in its own way. Join us as we pedal past dazzling murals, Victorian row houses, famous viewpoints, thriving commercial districts, and gems of Golden Gate Park.
You’ll come away with new perspectives on the city, and you’ll have plenty of ideas about where to go next.
But what about the hills? We’ve minimized the hills and use the gentlest ascents possible. The route is designed for anyone comfortable on a bike with a modest level of fitness.
We don’t stop for lunch on this tour, but we do include a snack stop.
$5 discount for students, teachers, and military
Neighborhoods & Areas Visited
- Hayes Valley: Our start and finish. A local’s favorite with boutique shops, cafes, and a busy park on sunny days.
- Alamo Square: Home to the Painted Ladies and one of the most iconic views in the city.
- Nopa: Residential neighborhood filled with Victorian architecture.
- Panhandle: The handle to Golden Gate Park’s “pan,” this narrow park boasts redwood, cypress, and pine trees.
- Golden Gate Park: The city’s ultimate treasure, it is where we go to run, ride, play, and think.
- Haight-Ashbury: The famous 1960’s hippie hangout and former home to the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and more.
- Lower Haight: Less famous than its Haight sibling up the hill, Lower Haight boasts hip shops, local bars, and the famous Wiggle bike route.
- Castro: Vibrant, colorful, and rooted in activism, the Castro is sure to put a smile on your face.
- Mission: Dynamic neighborhood with Latino roots and an abundance of historic murals.
City Bike with 7-8 speeds & upright sitting position. Regular and “step-through” frame styles available. Brands include Public, Specialized, Breezer, and Civia in a variety of colors.
Need to Know
- Prices include bicycle and helmet. Gratuities not included – please consider tipping your guide.
- Booking for one person? Great – we love solo travelers! Please note we require 2 or more participants to run a tour. If you are the only one booked the day before a tour, we may ask you to move to a different tour or give you a full refund.
This is our easiest “regular” bike tour, however, you are still riding a bike and going up some minor hills. We ride at a casual pace and make frequent stops.
We take safety very seriously. Our tours take you on San Francisco’s safest bike lanes, bike routes, and quiet streets. We provide safety instructions before each tour. Helmets (provided) are mandatory.
Before and After Your Tour
Need to grab a coffee or a bite to eat before or after your tour? Check out our recommendations.
Continue your Bicycle Adventure
We offer bike tour participants a 30% discount on bike rentals at our sister company CityRide Bike Rentals. We include a rental discount code in your bike tour confirmation email. Make sure to enter this code when reserving your bike rental online at the CityRide website. Please contact us if you don’t find it or have any questions.